- 2 cups of all purpose unbleached flour – preferably organic
- 1 cup of coconut sugar
- 2 tsp of baking soda
- 1/4 cup of dark cocoa powder – I always use organic & fair trade
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 1/4 cup diced sugar ginger
- 1/4 cup rum
- 1 cup of almond milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 5 tbs of apple cider vinegar
- 4 tbsp coconut cream
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup organic icing sugar
- 1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup ground cashews
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line muffin tray with cupcake wrappers
- Add flour, baking soda, sugar and cocoa into a large bowl and sir till combined well.
- Add walnut and ginger pieces and mix well. Set aside
- In a separate bowl combine almond milk and canola oil. Mix well.
- Stir in vinegar and rum and mix very well.
- Pour in the the wet ingredients into the bowl with the flour and mix until combined.
- Pour batter 3/4 way up into the cupcake wrappers and bake for 30 minutes. Check for done-ness with a toothpick.
- In a bowl, mix all the icing ingredients, except the cashews, until smooth and leave in fridge till cakes cool.
- When the cakes are fully cool, swirl the icing onto each cake.
- Garnish with cashew sprinkles and serve.
The ingredients in this recipe are fully vegan. I switched to a whole foods, plant based diet a year and half ago and have never felt lighter, healthier, happier and more energised. But this meant I had to transform all the baking and cooking recipes I’d played with since I was nine years old—not a small task. I’m slowly getting there and this week I finally made my best vegan chocolate cake to date. You’d be hard pressed to see or taste the difference.